I have an Android 5.1 phone without any SIM card installed in it. I don't use the WI-FI and it is left continuously in flight mode. Nevertheless, it is possible to dial an emergency number with it. I use it only for note-taking using an .apk app, pdf reading using pocketbook, taking pictures and occasionally obtaining GPS coordinates with GPS test. I am almost certain that because of this, I am not able to write files to it after successfully mounting it using sudo mtpfs -o allow_other, I only see files, read them but not write, except on one single occasion, after failed repeated attempts, was able to copy a .pdf to the built-in SD card where the Android filesystem is configured for all user data. What baffles me is that from the bash terminal the sudo cp is invoked and without complaining leaves the the destination untouched. I can create directories but can't copy files! Using the usb otg cable, I can copy files in or out to a flash or removable hard drive using the Android File Manager, but at the expense of losing original file date-time attributes. Has anyone tried this also?