Then, by "freedom and security" you mean immunity to hackerdom, and not to instutional intelligence (Intel and various intelligence services they possibly cooperate with).

Because, with a proprietary µcode and architecture, all those CPU's were already compromised when they are first sold. Meltdown and spectre opens your system to hackers, but it was already open to Intel for years. And the µcode update libreboot might provide or not will not protect you against Intel (and their accomplices) but only against the hackers.

So the question is rather simple, really. Which is;

"Shall I continue to be open to just Intel et.al. (with µcode update), or shall I be open to *both* Intel and hackers (without µcode update)?"