The problem I had in switching from Apple to GNU/Linux was the "bunch" of .M4A I have made in iTunes.

If the losless of the m4a format is ok and is playable in VLC, converting them is another story, because it is not a free format and iTunes didn't played Flac files (I don't know if it's always the case).

I use avconv (the libre equivalent of FFMpeg) and I do :

$ avconv -i input.m4a output.flac

Convert all tour files can be quite long. Maybe a solution sould exist for converting cevral files in the same command but I don't know how. FFMpeg tutorials could tell you to do it.

I don't kow if it's working with WinFF.

Maybe you sould try avconv for your .wmv if everything else has failed.

Remember m4a is a lossless format, not a lossy format ! So convert them in aiff, wav or flac !

As I said, I don't know why keeping m4a files if it's only really compatible with iTunes.

iTunes suks !

I also recommand the libre format opus, available in SoundConverter who is much more better than the old mp3 for a good lossy format for your future convertions.

https://opus-codec.org/
https://opus-codec.org/comparison/