Does bootcamp the Mac Mini recognize other distros as Windows? I wonder if there is any way to fix this on Trisquel's end, or if bootcamp assumes that anything that isn't macOS is Windows. It's a cosmetic issue that can be clarified in the documentation, but it could confuse someone.

More importantly, it seems like Trisquel 8 has worked with - GrevenGull's iMac (2008)
- your Mac Mini (2009)
- GrevenGull's MacBook (2012)
- and my friend's MacBook (2012).

and has not worked with
- strypey's wife's MacBook (7-8 years old, so 2011-ish)
- your MacBook Air (2015)

If it weren't for strypey's wife's MacBook this would make me think that the problem is only with newer MacBooks. I have a friend with a MacBook retina (2015). I'll see if he'll let me try booting Trisquel on it.

I have another friend with a MacBook Retina from 2015. I'll see if he'll let me try booting Trisquel on that.

Have you tried bootcamp on your MacBook Air?