"Since when does Secure Boot require Microsoft's approval? That sounds like a version of Restricted Boot."

This is too simplistic of a view. Allow me to explain then. I'll copy various things from Matthew Garrett's blog at https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org here.

Starting from scratch...

"Secure Boot means different things to different people. I think the FSF's definition is a useful one - Secure Boot is any boot validation scheme in which ultimate control is in the hands of the owner of the device, while Restricted Boot is any boot validation scheme in which ultimate control is in the hands of a third party. What Microsoft require for x86 Windows 8 devices falls into the category of Secure Boot - assuming that OEMs conform to Microsoft's requirements, the user must be able to both disable Secure Boot entirely and also leave Secure Boot enabled, but with their own choice of trusted keys and binaries. If the FSF set up a signing service to sign operating systems that met all of their criteria for freeness, Microsoft's requirements would permit an end user to configure their system such that it refused to run non-free software. My system is configured to trust things shipped by Fedora or built locally by me, a decision that I can make because Microsoft require that OEMs support it. Any system that meets Microsoft's requirements is a system that respects the freedom of the computer owner to choose how restrictive their computer's boot policy is.

This isn't to say that it's ideal. The lack of any common UI or key format between hardware vendors makes it difficult for OS vendors to document the steps users must take to assert this freedom."

So keep in mind that, even with Secure Boot where people can tell their computer what keys are to be trusted, there is no common UI or key format between hardware vendors. So even though people ***can*** revoke keys and use their own trusted keys the lack of standardization in how it's done creates problems with making documentation. Sure: The Trisquel Project might create a key on their own and then tell people to go and revoke the keys that came with their computer and enroll the Trisquel key. But the lack of standardization means we can't tell people exactly *how* to go do that. They'll need to check the documentation that came with the computer. Or maybe with whoever made the computer. Anyway, if Trisquel made a key it needs to get into the computer somehow. Having people revoke the keys that came with the computer and enroll new keys adds an extra layer during the install process which might turn people off. Making free software seem "hard", especially with no standard process from one computer to another. Making it harder for people to move to free software doesn't seem good. This is problem #1. But a lack of a standard process between computers doesn't make it Restricted Boot because people still *can* do it. They just have to follow their docs.

More from Matthew...

"Most hardware you'll be able to buy towards the end of the year will be Windows 8 certified. That means that it'll be carrying a set of secure boot keys, and if it comes with Windows 8 pre-installed then secure boot will be enabled by default. This set of keys isn't absolutely fixed and will probably vary between manufacturers, but anything with a Windows logo will carry the Microsoft key. We explored the possibility of producing a Fedora key and encouraging hardware vendors to incorporate it, but turned it down for a couple of reasons. First, while we had a surprisingly positive response from the vendors, there was no realistic chance that we could get all of them to carry it. That would mean going back to the bad old days of scouring compatibility lists before buying hardware, and that's fundamentally user-hostile."

So we're back to talking to making things easy to use. Okay; so you've got a process where people can enroll and remove keys that are to be trusted (even though there's no standard process for how to do that; so people will need to figure out how to do that on their own... go back to problem #1.) But; most of these computers will come with Microsoft's key pre-installed already. So hmmm... Maybe there's a way to use that to make Secure Boot easier for people. Since the computer comes with Microsoft's key already loaded (even if it can be removed) you can pay $99 to get YOUR stuff signed too. Then, since the chain of key signing trust goes from the Microsoft key to all the way to yours, then *POOF* the distro's stuff is automatically trusted out of the box and people don't have to go do whatever process their computer uses to enroll Trisquel's key first.

So perhaps when I said "requires" was too strong a word. Perhaps I should have said "to do it in an easy and user-friendly way" would have been better.

But it's still Secure Boot because the computer ***can*** still be configured with what keys to trust, even if there's no standard way for how that's done from vendor to vendor.

Hopefully this explains how Microsoft can still be involved in Secure Boot. It's a way to make Secure Boot work in an easy and user-friendly way since their key will probably be ubiquitous. Meaning people can just insert the CD/DVD/USB/whatever and boot and have it be trusted by the computer out of the box and not have to deal with first going and enrolling the Trisquel key (and maybe even removing Microsoft's if they wanted.)