Is LXQt ugly mainly depends on kwin, xfwm, or openbox as win manager, and what are your control and icon themes. ':) For me I just love Breeze-dark control, mouse, icon themes from KDE for LXQt and sometimes GTK desktops like Cinnamon and MATE, which I also have installed Openbox/KDE for experimenting is that more light than standard Plasma shell. In parallel I've also installed Ubuntu touch, Chrome OS, winxp, win10 themes that looks very different from GNOME's Adwaita. For Parabola you will have one more choice, https://liri.io, for Trisquel you will also have Unity shell as one more choice. :D