> We
> should use precise language.

Yes, although in this case the distinction does not make much of an ethical
difference. DRM and proprietary JavaScript are both bad for freedom. Even if
the proprietary JS executed by youtube-dl does not constitute DRM, we should
not recommend it in this forum.

> These recordings are for sale on Apple's Itunes.
>
> I think it's a lesser evil to use youtube-dl and download them from Youtube.

You touch on the larger problem, which is that these companies have so much
control over this information that we cannot access it without giving one of
them more power. avideo > youtube-dl > satan > youtube.com, but the only
long-term solution I see is to decrease our reliance on companies like Google
for information, even if that makes it difficult to access some information,
just as we reject some conveniences that are unavailable without proprietary
software.