As far as I know, users of Trisquel with an AMD GPU do not have 3D acceleration. Worse: they sometimes do not even have the proper resolution. It is, nevertheless, better than nothing (well, better than the "vesa" driver). That is why the free software drivers come with the kernel (not every feature depends on proprietary firmware).

Besides older nVidia cards, you can simply use Intel integrated graphics: they work very well, if not perfectly. And they are cheap. And you save energy. That said, as you know, the hardware is not the best for 3D acceleration (but is good for video acceleration for instance): with the IntelĀ® HD Graphics 630 (https://ark.intel.com/products/97147/Intel-Core-i5-7400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-50-GHz- precisely), Trisquel's default kernel and its SuperTuxKart package, I get 15-20 FPS.