To be honest, emulators are fine imo as long as they cannot escape the sandbox at least from a security point of view. But freedom wise I understand people disagree, but its better then them using non-free software to do the emulation which is entirely possible... God forbid they switch back to malwaresoft winbugs or crapple or even crapbooks......

So yeah, that's my point of view, take it for what it is worth.

ps, application layers like wine are in the same boat as far as i am concerned... except never ever, run it in root. ;/

That is a dangerous death sentence to your computer. ;p