> There used to be several boxes you could check/uncheck for various
> settings (including Javascript) at the startup page.

The page you see when you open a new tab is called about:home (you can
also get to it by entering "about:home" into the URL bar. The current
about:home in Abrowser is Firefox's default. Abrowser used to have
checkboxes for various privacy settings at the top off about:home.

> This startup page has now been changed to a startup page with
> recommendations for sites to visit based on my history (without me
> remembering having even told Abrowser to do this).

The site recommendations were always there, you just had to scroll down
to see them because the checkboxes were at the top.

The reason that the checkboxes are gone in Abrowser is that Mozilla
broke them by removing the API that it relied on. This happened after
the release of Icecat 60, so Icecat is unaffected, but Icecat 68 will
have the same issue.

However, it sounds like quidam is hoping to reimplement the api in
order to retain the checkboxes in Icecat 68, at which point the same
code can be used to bring the checkboxes back in Abrowser. From last
week's Freedom Friday meeting:

2019-05-31 09:22:48     quidam  in other news, I'm finally done with icecat 60.7
2019-05-31 09:23:03     quidam  it is built and I'll publish it to gnu today
2019-05-31 09:24:35     quidam  the next version will need some serious work,
actually I'm looking for JS volunteers for a rework of the about:home feature
2019-05-31 09:33:51     quidam  the block on icecat's about:home with all the
privacy/freedom selections uses an api that has been deprecated
2019-05-31 09:33:59     quidam  I believe it can be reimplemented
2019-05-31 09:34:42     quidam  it needs to be able to change settings and
enable/disable extensions
2019-05-31 09:35:03     quidam  it would also be re-included in abrowser, which
used to have that feature
2019-05-31 09:38:36     quidam  #info looking for JS volunteer for
Icecat/Abrowser about:home feature

> I've searched through the preferences, but don't find anything.

The "Preferences Menu" (about:preferences) exposes only a subset of
Abrowser's settings. You can see the complete list of settings by going
to about:config. All of the settings that used to be controlled by
checkboxes are in there. The JavaScript one is called
"javascript.enabled". You might also consider NoScript or LibreJS.