For those who have neither their system online nor the lower versions of the packages on their disk, these packages are attached to this post. Bring them somehow (a pendrive, for instance) to the offline system, where, in a terminal, you will move them to /var/cache/apt/archives (here assuming the files are in the working directory): $ sudo mv network-manager_1.2.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.3_amd64.deb wpasupplicant_2.4-0ubuntu6.6_amd64.deb /var/cache/apt/archives

Then, chaosmonk's commands will work. Well, except that he forgot to mention that NetworkManager must be restarted at the end:
$ systemctl restart NetworkManager

@chaosmonk: downgrading only NetworkManager was sufficient for my system, but I imagine the reason to upgrade to a possibly less tested version of wpa_supplicant was to get a newer version of NetworkManager, hence the advice to downgrade both. Am I right?