I agree, that's why i haven't stored/archived any netinst version of any distro because they are incomplete and in some cases even won't work, but as for regular iso versions, they still work without internet connection. In this context, the only thing you'd need is compatible hardware (BIOS non UEFI) or a compatible virtualization enviroment.

As for additional software, it's true that you don't have access to the original repos anymore so the only option would be to re-compile them from old sourcecode versions, which is indeed a pain but we are dealing with an historic OS so nobody is intended to do that, unless they really want. My actual project is to collect the operating systems itself, but i'm also working and i'm planning to work on a programs/software collection. I already have a good archive on windows apps but i should look in the future to do some linux ones too so we could run some extra software on old distros.