I guess he is recommending one of those boards you put underneath the laptop, that have cooling fans. I do have one of these and in my experience makes more noise than the internal fan of the T400. HOWEVER, having the laptop merely on top of it (wihtout turning it on) seems to help cooling it down (better airflow). Now I don't know about you but my T400 doesn't make all that noise. It's important to notice that the screen also makes a little "hiss" sound, which you will notice the difference when the monitor goes to sleep.

I recommend the SSD because of the improved speed, battery lasts more, and makes machine lighter. I also removed the optical drive (mine was malfunctioning and I don't need it anyway). All this makes the machine lighter to carry around, and helps in terms of airflow. Remember to clean it well every once in a while.