> Any comments on the version-upgrade with the system GUI default tools? Is it reliable?

I've never upgraded using the GUI tools, but the most common issue people have reported in the forums when upgrading to from Trisquel 7 to Trisquel 8 has to do with the change in default desktop environment from GNOME 2 to MATE. Users sometimes accidentally uninstall the "trisquel" metapackage, often in the process of removing an unwanted application in Trisquel's default set. This doesn't usually cause noticeable problems, but it is important to have this package installed while upgrading from Trisquel 7 to 8, because it pulls in components of the new MATE desktop as dependencies. Users who upgraded without it were left with a broken desktop until they reinstalled it.