Thanks a lot for your reply and information!

In this case it's a Trisquel 7 Mini system, so, the desktop is LXDE, hope that's less prone to issues.

I've tested the version-upgrade process through GUI tools in a virt-manager:qemu-kvm virtual machine at home and everything went fine. Right now I'm in the middle of the process (only thing to mention is that the packages download was notoriously slow) and I expect to finish it tomorrow by night (this is not at home, so, I'm having to go and come back...).

The box in question is a regular by-default installation, so, everything was just vanilla.

I'll inform if things go smooth.

Thanks again!