DAVEH wrote:
> I don't know what you consider a "dead end".
> It isn't like this book can prove anything one
> way or another. It is a record of vocal legends
> amongst peoples who were not noted for recording
> much of their history. And that which was recorded,
> was destroyed by their conquerors.

What I mean by "dead end" is the kind of discussions that astrologers and
the like engage in.  They will point to planetary alignments, ecclipses,
etc. and draw all kinds of conclusions by correlating these with significant
historical events.  UFO hunters do the same thing.  I much prefer scientific
approaches or Biblical approaches.

As I understand early American history, American Indian tribes did not have
an alphabet or written language at all.  They were illiterate, basically
uncivilized savages.  As I understand it, the languages that now exist and
attributed to Cherokee or Navajo, etc. were invented after western
civilization came over here.  In other words, it was the "white man's
influence" which caused them to develop (or rediscover) writing.  Now you
speak about their "records" being destroyed by Spaniards.  Can you reference
some material about this for me?  How do you know that Spaniards destoryed
their records?  Why did they destroy them?  Again, the history I have read
indicates that the Spaniards sought to educate and civilize the indians, and
to save them by preaching the gospel to them.  How do we know that these
"legends" did not develop from the influence of the Spanish missionaries?
I'm very interested in this material and any knowledge you can share about
it.

DAVEH wrote:
> I'm not in a situation where I need to be compelled
> to read it as such. I already believe our Lord visited
> his "other sheep" as spoken about by Jesus.......
>
> "And other sheep I have which are not of this fold:
> them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice;
> and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd." Jn 10:16

I always understood this John 10:16 passage to be speaking about people like
me.  I am among these "other sheep" that Jesus speaks of, and so was the
apostle Paul for that matter.  :-)