In a message dated 3/10/2004 6:27:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Kevin has made several arguments about how the Book of Mormon has no
historical basis and therefore should not be trusted.  If we accept the
idea that history has entertainment value but not educational value, we
completely demolish Kevin's argument against Mormonism.  Can't you all
see that?

Wow  -- David my friend  !!!!    Where have you gone?   I was referencing spiritual truth more than anything when I made my statement  "I am educated by the Word, I am entertained by history."    Entertainment includes, in this case, the joy  and validation  I feel when I read the story of Polycarp and his willingness to die  --  and I could go on and on and on   ---  but you see the point.    I did not mean "entertainment"  as something not to be taken seriously but I learn truth from the Word  --  as do most of us on this list.

Re Mormonism; a couple of thoughts.   One  --  if someone would write off to the Smithsonian institute about the Mormon claims, they would receive back something to this effect, "Smithsonian  (yes James Smithson is a family member   --  rise, I am but a man) archeologist see no similarity between the archeology of the New World and the Book of Mormon."   Actually I think that can be verified via the web.   Man, I hope that statement remains their view. It was there a year or so ago.   Secondly:  I have no idea what grace means to those on this list, but grace as opposed to law is now our standard of judgment.    It is at the center of the New Covenant, a covenant that is not at all like the legal one given by God to Moses   (Jere 31:31-34).  That being the case,       THERE IS NO REASON FOR GOD TO BEGIN ANEW WITH THE MORMON CHURCH, ITSELF FRACTURED INTO THREE OR FOUR GROUPS.      We are save by grace, not by works of the law.    What do you suppose that means   "works of the law"?    It means "obedience to the law (and in the context, the law of God)."    If we are in deed saved by grace apart from obedience to the law of God, why in the world would God begin anew?    Sure the church is screwed up,  but who would say that things were different in first century times. IT WAS SCREWED UP FROM THE GET GO, FOLKS.    Look to Corinth.   They had approved of gross immorality.   They had lost their way in regard to the gifts of the Spirit.   They had fractured into four warring groups.  Their Christianity was described as carnal.   Who among us would be proud to have our faith defined for all the ages to ponder as "carnal"?    Anyway, you get the point.   I don't believe in the Mormon church because God took care of all the problems the church might experience ON THE CROSS.  To argue that point is to believe that the error that has followed the church around got God by surprise.   Does ANY really believe that?    I Jo 1: 8 clearly states that we are all continually in sin.   We always need Him   ---   that is why (among other reasons) that He was raised from the dead  -  that resurrection created a CONTINUAL ETERNAL  flow of the blood of the Lamb.    It is in that sense and only in that sense that He died once and for all time for us  (Heb 10:14).     Anyway  --  sorry.   Got my preacher blood flowing.

This is a great group.    I am enjoying not only your individual faith and knowledge, but the patience and acceptance that seems to prevail.

God Bless Us All

John Smithson