Bill wrote   >    When you insinuate that I have diminished faith or repentance, or the power of sin and death, or human depravity, David, you simply misunderstand me. These things are all real, profoundly real, in my thinking. I just do not draw logico-causal connections between them. No one can reject Jesus Christ and live for long without sin and death and depravity devouring them.

David replied   >    But I thought you did not believe in cause and effect, so how can this
be?  Please be patient with me and try to explain.

David,

First of all, I do not know if you realize this but you have taken a particular and made a universal out of it. Just because I do not believe in cause and effect in some areas, does not mean by inference that I refuse it in all areas. The one who rejects Jesus Christ causes his own demise.

Let me tell you a couple of things I do not accept as cause and effect and why.
  1. I do not believe that God causes me to believe: This, in my mind, is Calvinism. What about those who do not believe? If we are going to say that God caused me to believe, and if "cause" is actually going to mean that power or efficient agent which produces a thing or an event, then we must also be willing to say that those who do not believe are unbelievers because God did NOT cause the same event or effect in them that he did in me. This impugns the nature of God. It makes him culpable in their rejection.
  2. In the strict sense in which you use it, I do not believe my belief/faith has causal power: My faith does not save me. Jesus Christ saves me. If I believe that my faith is "that force which appropriates spiritual truth and makes it manifest" in my life, then I have introduced a subtle but vital element of co-redemption into my salvation. I now have two Saviors -- Jesus Christ and faith, my faith no less! And so Jesus does his part, I do mine. This is co-redemption. But it's even worse than that. You say, "Christ died for all of humanity, but only those who believe and put trust in Christ experience its effects." BUT if I have to do my part, for Jesus' part to be of effectI become the cause of my own salvation, and NOT Jesus Christ, because he can do nothing until I assent in faith.
Now let me explain as best I can why it is that a "reason" and a "reaction" is not necessarily cause/effect. And please do not push this further than I take it, unless you are able to tell me an analogy that does not break down at some point. A couple of years ago I was driving down the road not long after a violent summer storm had streaked across the plains. There was a creek ahead of me that had rushed out of its banks and washed out the bridge. I was not expecting anything so dramatic and so I was driving along not really paying attention until suddenly I was right upon the spot where the bridge used to be. When I saw the problem I immediately hit my brakes and skidded, finally coming to a stop only a few feet from a major drop off.

Let's talk about relationships involved here.
  • There was a relationship between the storm and my stopped car. There were relationships all throughout: Storm > rushing water > rising creek > breaking bridge > bridge gone > seeing the problem > hitting the brakes > brakes engage > car stops.
    • Some of these are direct causal relationships,
    • Some are not. These I consider to be simple reasons.
    • Some of these relationships are direct effects,
    • Some are indirect. These are simple reactions.

What are the simple reasons and what are the direct causes? What are the direct effects and what are the simple reactions?
  • The rain caused the creek to rise and the creek caused the bridge to wash out.
    • The force of the water against the bridge caused the bridge to collapse and wash away.
    • There is a direct causal relationship here. The water is what washed out the bridge.
    • The direct effect being the bridge was gone
  • BUT the missing bridge did not cause me to stop. It is only the reason why I stopped
    • There is no causal relationship between the running water or the missing bridge and my car stopping.
      • The water itself did not stop my car.
      • The missing bridge did not stop my car.
    • My brakes are what caused the car to stop.
    • The missing bridge is the reason I stopped.
  • Just like the missing bridge is the reason why I stopped and not what caused me to stop, hitting my brakes was just a reaction to what I saw and not a direct result or effect of any of other causal forces.
    • If I had not seen the problem, none the other causes involved would have made me hit the brakes.
    • None of the other causes would have prevented me from plunging headlong into the wash.
    • Hitting the brakes was an indirect result of some of these causes, but not a direct effect, just a simple reaction to what I saw in front of me.
Jesus is the reason I believe.
I would not choose to say that he causes me to believe.

Faith is my response to the truth of the Gospel.
Faith does not cause me to be saved.

Repentance is my response to the truth of the Gospel.
It does not cause me to be forgiven.

Obedience is my response to the truth of the Gospel.
It is not what causes my salvation to remain effective.

There is no cause and effect here.

Jesus Christ is the truth of the Gospel!
He is the simple reason I believe.
He is the reason I am obedient.
He is the reason that I love, that I repent, that I persevere.

He does not make me do these things.
These are my responses to his love.

David, I do not hold to the cause/effect scenario that you and others set forth:
You confess your sins, then God forgives you.
You place your faith in Jesus Christ, then he saves you.
You believe in Jesus Christ, then you are in Jesus Christ.
You work out your salvation in fear and trembling, then God receives you.
Cause and effect. Cause and effect. Cause and effect.

I do not except this because implicit in each of these statements is a condition which must be worked out on your end before it can/will be reciprocated from God's end.
If you do not repent, then you will go to hell.
If you do not place your faith in Jesus Christ, he cannot save you.
If you do not live in obedience, you will lose your salvation.
Stated another way, you can be saved only if you believe in Jesus Christ, repent of your sins, walk in obedience, and persevere to the end. All these conditions must be met before you can actually be saved.

I do not believe my response to Jesus Christ appropriates the truthfulness of who he is, of what he has accomplished on my behalf, on our behalf, on behalf of us all. My response does not change the truth already present and at work in the Gospel. The Gospel tells me who Jesus Christ is; it tells me who I am, and it calls me to repent accordingly.

Reason and reaction

I hope this is helpful. If I don't get too bombarded here I will try to get something out on Calvin, and my affinity to him. I'm going to call it a night.

Bill