Judy wrote:
> God called Isaac the seed of Promise in Genesis 21:12
> so nothing has changed.

I don't see the word "promise" in Gen. 21:12.  Even if it did, Paul
interprets for us that this understanding is an allegory.  Furthermore,
consider Romans 4:13-16 and see how the seed has nothing to do with the
physical at all, but of faith.

Judy wrote:
> Sin is a being

A being?  Do you mean that sin is literally a spirit or a creature?

Judy wrote:
> ... and Paul says it dwelt in his flesh in Romans 7 where
> he says he was in agreement with God's Law inwardly
> but at times he did what he didn't want to do and when
> that happened it was not him doing it but sin that dwelt
> in him.  (Romans 7:17-25) and in the next chapter ...

What I hear Paul describing here is what ethologists better understand as
animal behavior mediated by genes.  In other words, there is an animal side
to man that is physical, and the behavior that comes forth from the flesh is
inherently selfish and therefore sinful.  He speaks about it as its own
entity because he is trying to establish for us the dualism that exists in
man, the distinction between flesh and spirit.  It takes the Word of God to
divide spirit and flesh such that we can recognize how the flesh is
inherently sinful and does no good thing.  This is what Romans 7 is all
about, helping us recognize the concept of Greek dualism that existed in
Paul's culture.  Paul was affirming this perspective by using the Torah,
saying that with the flesh man served sin, but with the spirit, the law of
God.  When he speaks about how it was not him doing it but sin within him,
he was talking about his animal nature, how his flesh, had a mind of its
own, that struggled against the mind of his spirit, which was struggling to
live according to God's Torah.  This tension between flesh and spirit,
material and immaterial, sinful and righteous, changing forms and unchanging
forms, was very much discussed in philosophical circles because of Plato and
the opposing views of his student Aristotle.  This is one reason that
Christianity took off so successfully among the Gentiles.

Judy wrote:
> I don't see the brain (organ) as sinful in and of itself.

Neither do I, but the brain does motivate behavior.  Electrical stimulation
can be provided to certain areas of the brain to produce emotions like anger
and jealousy.  It is reasonable to conclude that evil emotions likes these
actually emanate from the brain in response to certain stimuli, much like
instinctive behavior in animals.  Such behavior is what Paul was talking
about in regards to covetousness, wanting not to covet with his mind, but
feeling compelled to covetousness by the instinctive nature of his body.  He
then personifies sin, speaking about it as existing in his flesh and
bringing him into captivity.  Paul does not mean that sin is a physical
organ of the body that can be touched, but rather he is speaking about his
nervous system creating sinful desires and behavior.

Judy wrote:
> Sir John Eccles (Nobel Laureate) said "the brain is a machine that any
> ghost can operate"

I like this quote, but I don't think we need to suppose that without a
ghost, the brain cannot function.  I think spirits can interface somewhat
with the brain, but that the brain, in its own way, has its own activity as
well.  When we talk about carnal behavior, the brain is probably the most
important organ for us to consider.

Judy wrote:
> I'm not talking any magical hocus pocus David; nor do
> I have any rituals having to do with the blood of Christ.
> My belief is that it cleanses the consicence from dead
> works when we go to the sacrifice in time of need.

How does this cleansing work?  I perceive the personal cleansing as
happening as a response to our consideration of the sacrifice of Christ.  It
seems to me like you consider the cleansing to happen by Jesus taking his
literal, physical blood and pouring it over your spirit or soul, and that
there is some kind of power in this literal blood that removes sin much like
water and soap removes dirt.  This is what I mean by "magical."  There is
some mysterious power in the literal blood of Christ that is applied to us
and then removes sin from us.

Judy wrote:
> Why are you so adamant about this, why does his blood
> have to be just like ours?  If that were so then God could
> have just had Joseph be his biological father after all he
> and Mary were both from Levitical lines.

I do believe that Jesus could have been born to Mary and Joseph and still
been our Savior.  The only reason I see in Scripture for the Virgin Birth
was for a sign (Isaiah 7:14).  Although the Scripture does not say that it
would be a sign specifically to Mary, I believe it was.  I imagine it was
very difficult raising the Son of God, and she probably had to draw strength
from the fact that she knew he was the Son of God because of the miracle
birth.

Judy wrote:
> I don't have to have Him be "like me in every way" David"
> to believe that by His Spirit I can do whatever He requires
> of me and I don't understand why this appears to be so
> important to you.

I realize you don't need that, but the realization of his humanity does give
me a great source of affinity and appreciation for Jesus.  To think of him
as my big brother is incredible, although I realize that to some on this
list, such a thought is blasphemy.  Part of it also may have to do with my
understanding of authority.  I see Jesus's authority to right humanity as
stemming through his being human just like us.  When I hear you share your
perspective about Jesus's unique blood, he sounds more distant, alien, and
far away than how I have come to know and experience him.

Judy wrote:
> Nor do I understand why you call my understanding
> "magical powers" at this point maybe you could explain.
> Was the blood of A&E magical also?

No, I don't see A&E's blood as magical either.  I'm not sure why you would
bring them up.  What I'm trying to communicate in terse form is that the
idea of the blood literally being the instrument of cleansing is like the
idea of a magic potion.  Here, drink this potion and the problem will
disappear.  The concept in this is that there is some mysterious quality to
the potion that effects change.  It seems like you perceive Christ's blood
this way, maybe kind of like the Roman Catholics believe in
transubstantiation during the Eucharist.  From my perspective, the blood has
power, but it is in its effect upon my conscience as I consider Jesus and
his sacrifice and the way of the cross.  I feel no compulsion to believe in
transubstantiation or in the idea that the blood of Jesus did not come
directly from the genetic material inherited from his mother because from my
perspective there is no inherent power of the blood apart from the faith of
the believer.