On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:55:25 -0400 "Debbie Sawczak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Judy, when I say "focus" I'm not talking about visualization or concentration.

Hi Debbie:
Sure am glad to know that....

I'm talking about staking my life on the fact that God loves us, letting God's love be my "ground". Then that shapes how I see myself and other people. Yes, the walk is supernatural, and by faith. Thankfully, we have Christ's life given to us. (I think this is what David and others have been saying all along, actually.)

Yes, I can agree that all of the above is good....

But in your post to Lance, didn't you insist on our cooperation/submission? How does this happen?

It happens as we receive the seed (Word) and act on it.  Scripture teaches that we are saved by receiving the ingrafted Word which is able to save our soul - and IMO this is where the division occurs between the two factions on TT.  I would'nt be interested in scripture if I believed as some do that it is only the perception of men which I may or may not be able to comprehend depending on how much enlightenment thinking I have unconsciously absorbed.

Relationship: do you pray?

I do

To whom?

I pray to the Father in the Name of Jesus

Is there love between you and him, and does that alter you in real time?

Yes; he loved me so much that He sent His only begotten son to die for me; and I love and serve the Son by doing what He says so that I may fulfill the will of the Father by being conformed to His image.

Is he actually alive and there for you to trust in, or is it a desription of him you are trusting in?

I don't have a description of Him Debbie - do you?  On my part it is totally a "faith" transaction.  I believe His Word.

Of course he is revealed to us in his Word. But he is also alive and present.

This is what intrigues me. How do you mean "He is also alive and present" apart from His Spirit and His Word?

The point about uncertainty/confidence did not come through; in fact, it got turned into its opposite. I will try to think of another
way of saying it.

BTW, I enjoyed the post about trusting, praying, and not being anxious. It was right on.

I'm glad (I did too) and thanks for letting me know,

Grace and Peace,  judyt

Debbie writes:
Another "bicameral" statement made on TT is that love is the sum of the commandments.
I love "disobedient people" better when I focus on God's unquenchable love for us. Where else could our love come from?

Just focusing or visualizing love or the "incarnation" will not make it happen in us outside of walking in his ways and dealing with our issues - this walk is supernatural. Our flesh nature recoils against loving enemies and blessing those who curse us.

I also find that the more my faith revolves around the person of Christ and a relationship with him rather than insistence on a set of correct doctrines, the more genuinely alive and active it becomes. Life is relationships; it can't be built on less.

I'm not understanding this "person of Christ" you all talk about because we have no way to know Him outside of His Word. He tells us that "if we continue in His Word" then we are His disciples and we will know the truth and the truth will make us free (Jn 8:31) and "if we love Him we will do what He says" - (would you consider all of this "correct doctrine?) If so my question then is - "how does one have a relationship with Jesus aside from agreement?  Today I had a new aquaintance tell me that "friends can agree to disagree" which is fine but I don't see this in God's Word applying to Jesus and I wouldn't say I have a "relationship" with this lady.  Paul exhorted the Church to all be saying the same thing.

And that brings me to your earlier post, about "majoring on" the inconclusivity of interpretation when we should be "confident in God's word". I know it doesn't seem this way to you, but acceptance of this kind of uncertainty IS confidence in God's word--as something greater than the shape forced on it by our reason or traditions, able to continue to renew and change our thinking (more than once, nudging us along a path).

Do you reckon Satan would have left if during his time of temptation out there in the wilderness Jesus was full of this kind of "doubt and uncertainty" about what Deuteronomy really was saying to God's people?  I mean there were plenty of years in there for reason and tradition to have come on in.  Why wasn't that a problem for Him?

It is confidence in God and his ongoing covenant story rather than in the principles, generalizations, or jots-and-tittles we try to extract from it. The canon in its entirety argues for greater diversity than any one piece of it, and if you take this seriously (So-and-So thinks differently, and may be right!), it makes for not-insignificant uncertainty. It's not hard to allow uncertainty at the margins of our thinking, but harder to submit our ideological "darlings". If you think that some of us who so loudly profess this aren't always much good at carrying it out, you are right!  Debbie

Well Debbie.  Jesus is our Lord and Master and He left us an example that we should follow in His steps.  If he were looking for greater diversity and acting in "uncertainty" this may be an option - but He wasn't and He didn't. Faith is the name of the salvation game and without faith it is impossible to please Him. Our choice today is what our faith will rest in.  The Word of God, or the words of men.

Grace and Peace,
judyt