Debbie wrote:
> Please, David, stop patronizing me in this
> ridiculous fashion. Your condescension only
> serves as a temptation to contempt.

Sorry, Debbie.  I think you misunderstood my rambling.  I have been enjoying
our discussion and did not mean that you don't have the intellectual ability
for reductionism (that seems to be how you took it).  I think reductionism
takes more work, and I thought that's what you were getting at, but I wasn't
sure, so I asked, "what's wrong with that."

Debbie wrote:
> The problem has nothing to do with the amount of detail
> I can hold in my mind; if anything, it is the reverse. But
> the real issue for me has never been mere quantity of data
> --it is the presence or absence of richness of connection.
> Indeed, your mathematical example is backwards. Your
> approach to most topics is extremely linear and unidimensional,
> and that is precisely my objection.

I think you misapprehend my approach to issues.  Examining specific aspects
of an issue is a temporary task, but... whatever.  I see you don't get it.

Debbie wrote:
> As for building a car, it is not at all like evolving
> an eye! I ought to have known better, as you simply
> do not get either the point of specific analogies or the
> purpose of analogies in general. Analogies are not
> arguments; they are explanations, illustrations, invitations
> to intellectual empathy (as it were).

I did not take it as an argument, which is why I rambled on with my personal
life of illustrations.  This is exactly why I hate talking about myself.  I
did not understand why " trying to evolve the whole eye or wing one feature
at a time" would cause you to shrink back.  I still don't.  If you can
explain it, I am VERY interested.  If you think I'm too dense, I understand.
I do get kind of dense sometimes.  I'm one of those guys who sometimes does
not get the joke as readily as others.  Sometimes I think I look at it from
too many angles.

Maybe I should shrink back to my cave.  I do have a lot of other things to
do. Sorry for upsetting you.  Prior to this post from you, I thought we were
communicating and was feeling encouraged and comfortable in that.  I guess I
got too comfortable.