Sorry David, but I do not know squat about torah. Most of what I know, I know from studying the Bible. A little of what I think I know comes from the studies others have done.

It is my understanding that up until just a few years prior to Jesus beginning His ministry, that an adulterous spouse was stoned to death. Since the dead spouse no longer existed, the remaining marriage partner was free to remarry. This did not sit well with their Roman conquerers, who considered sexual sin to be a lightweight thing, and took away the right of the Jews to stone one to death for this minor crime. We know that God hates divorce. His intention was that all marriages last until the death of at least one partner. Now we got a situation where the death penalty cannot be carried out, freeing the innocent spouse. The innocent spouse is trapped in a marriage when according to Jewish law, that innocent spouse should be a widow or widower, free to start anew. How does Jesus solve this problem? He has no desire to punish the innocent party by trapping the innocent in a loveless marriage, and He has no desire to question Roman authority. He does the only thing that is fair. He allows divorce for one reason only. That reason is sexual sin. No other reason can break that bond. One spouse is bound to the other spouse until one divorces the other for committing sexual sin. Since the divorce of my imaginary couple was not for sexual sin, God does not recognize the divorce and the woman is still bound to her first, her real, husband. She sins every time she has sex with one who is not her husband, just as surely as a thief sins every time he steals.
Terry

David Miller wrote:

Terry wrote:

David, I don't understand what you are trying to say. To me, Matthew 5:32 requires no interpretation. What's to interpret?

:-) Well then, how about if I just give you an alternative consideration. Ok?

Terry wrote:

The fact is clear. Remarriage after a divorce for any reason other than adultery is sin.

Here is another consideration for you.

Matthew 5:32
(32) But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Let's break down these statements into two:

1) Whoever divorces his wife, except for the cause of fornication, is causing her to commit adultery. [Interpretation / Commentary: The husband does not cause her to commit adultery by the divorce if she has already fallen into fornication. Therefore, he has some justification for divorcing her in this case... BUT... he might want to reconsider even that because the one who ends up marrying her after he divorces her would be committing adultery!]

2) Whoever marries a divorced woman is committing adultery [Interpretation: whether or not she was divorced because of adultery. This reading is one whereby the clause "except for fornication" applies only to the first consideration of the problem of divorce causing the wife to commit adultery through remarriage.].

The hardness of our hearts makes hearing this second statement hard to hear, but it is a possible way to interpret what Jesus is saying here. Notice how in Mat. 19, the disciples recognize that the man should not marry, and Jesus then teaches on being a eunuch.

Terry wrote:

God does not see the second marriage as a marriage. He sees one who is bound to another living in continual sin with someone besides his/her spouse.

This is your interpretation. Look at the text and consider another interpretation. Consider that perhaps God does not see continual sin, but that the adultery is a one time act that violated the covenant. He calls that violation adultery. Trying to argue for continual adultery is kind of like saying that after a murderer has killed someone, he commits murder again if he shoots the body again. It all depends upon how one looks upon the marriage covenant and what causes the marriage covenant to be violated. Is the marriage covenant being violated again and again and again or was it violated at that first sin?

I put this forward primarily to try and help you see how you project interpretation into the text. The really important point here is to understand the end of the conversation that Jesus has in this passage. What Jesus is trying to communicate (IMO) is that divorce itself causes adultery, by the one who divorces the wife who has been found unclean according to Torah and therefore might rightfully divorce her according to Torah, and also by the one who ends up marrying the woman rightly put away. The thrust of what Jesus is after is stopping the divorce in the first place. He is encouraging purity in marriage, and forgiveness for adultery in marriage, even though the Torah might supposedly give you a right to divorce her. His point is kind of like, "yeah, Torah allows you to divorce the adulterous wife, but what God has joined together, let no man put asunder... therefore, let's live by a higher standard of Torah, which was simply accommodating your hard heartedness when it gave you the right to divorce for the cause of adultery."

Terry wrote:

Being born again does not change that. Being born again makes you want to do right. It does not make doing wrong right. You cannot have one who is still bound to another.

You are viewing the continued relationship as divorce, but this is based upon a particular interpretation you have of the text, which is based upon assumptions you make from your particular culture and biases. Look at it from this point of view. If adultery has happened, and this was followed with divorce, then the parties are no longer bound to each other. The marriage covenant has been canceled. Torah allowed for this.

Please consider carefully why Torah did not allow going back to the first spouse after the divorce. If we only considered your perspective here of Mat. 5:32, which is based upon the idea that the divorced woman is still bound by marriage to the first husband despite the divorce, then the woman should be allowed to go back to her husband. However, she is not allowed to do that. This is because Torah recognizes that her marriage covenant has been violated. She no longer has any rights to her first husband and he no longer has any rights to her, BECAUSE... THEY ARE NO LONGER BOUND TO EACH OTHER.

So how do we understand Jesus's teaching? He was speaking to those men whose wives were found in adultery and were considering their right under Torah to divorce them. He is encouraging them not to divorce them, because the one who would marry them would be committing adultery. And... if he divorces her when she is innocent of adultery, he would be causing her to commit adultery as she turned to another man for the very things that she should be receiving from him in her marriage covenant with him.

Terry wrote:

The only valid reason for divorce and remarriage is adultery.

According to Torah, this is true, but the New Covenant has higher standards.

Terry wrote:

That is not to say that there is no valid reason to flee from an abusive spouse, but remarriage is not an option in those cases.

Is there any room for grace in your theology of marriage covenants? What other unforgiveable sins are there besides making a mistake in choosing a spouse? According to your perspective, is the person who engaged in an act of sexual intercourse before marriage barred from ever marrying anyone if that person then went and married someone else? How does grace and forgiveness find expression in your theology of marriage?