DAVEH:  Thanx for posting that link, Kevin.  There are several points they make that would seem pertinent to posting copyrighted song lyrics....

Is the new work merely a copy of the original? If it is simply a copy, it is not as likely to be considered fair use.

Is the work factual or artistic? The more a work tends toward artistic _expression_, the less likely it will be considered fair use.

The more you use, the less likely it will be considered fair use.
Does the amount you use exceed a reasonable expectation? If it approaches 50 percent of the entire work, it is likely to be considered an unfair use of the copyrighted work.
Is the particular portion used likely to adversely affect the author's economic gain? If you use the "heart" or "essence" of a work, it is less likely your use will be considered fair.

What Can Be Copied?
A chapter from a book (never the entire book).
An article from a periodical or newspaper.
A short story, essay, or poem. One work is the norm whether it comes from an individual work or an anthology.

The same copyright protections exist for the author of a work regardless of whether the work is in a database, CD-ROM, bulletin board, or on the Internet.
If you make a copy from an electronic source, such as the Internet or WWW, for your personal use, it is likely to be seen as fair use. However, if you make a copy and put it on your personal WWW site, it less likely to be considered fair use.
The Internet IS NOT the public domain. There are both uncopyrighted and copyrighted materials available. Assume a work is copyrighted.

Music, lyrics, and music video:
up to 10 percent of the work but no more than 30 seconds of the music or lyrics from an individual musical work.

© 1996-2004 University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd. East
Adelphi, Maryland 20783 USA

.......Hope I didn't violate any copyrights quoting the above!   :-(

Kevin Deegan wrote:
Go to your favorite copy store tell them you want to copy one page of this copyrighted booklet.
See what happens
 
Copyright protects the right to copy and or distrubute among other things
What we have been discussing is called "FAIR USE"
The more you copy the less likely it will be considered FAIR
In addition to be FAIR it must offer some other value than being just a copy. EG> Educational or commentary
DAVEH:   Responding to Kevin.....It seemed to me that he posted the entire text of each song.

    Responding to Kevin....I think you are wrong about that.  If you wrote a book, the law would allow me to quote very small portions of it in a review I might post.  However, if I were to post the whole book, even though I were not making any money from it, you would be harmed because a reader would be able to know what I was thinking without buying the book from you.

    Furthermore....I think the music industry is particularly sensitive to protecting copyrighted material right now.   But....As always, I may be wrong....       :-)

Kevin Deegan wrote:
It is my understanding that you may post - print PORTIONS not complete works.

David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DaveH asks Gary:
> You've repeatedly posted copyright material
> on TT. Doesn't that violate copyright restrictions?

I'm not a lawyer, Dave, but my understanding is that there is no problem
with copying portions of an author's material for noncommercial use. The
copyright laws are meant to protect the author from Gary going out and
trying to make money off of the author's work. There also would be another
problem, and that is if Gary's activity somehow hurt the author's sales.
For example, if people did not need to buy the author's work because Gary
provided it to them free of charge. Posting lyrics to songs on TruthTalk
does not damage the author from my perspective. If anything, it mi ght
provide free advertising for him, maybe even help his sales if people get
interested in the author's work because of what Gary has posted. The bottom
line is that one must look at whether or not any damage is done to the author when copying his material.

David Miller


--   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Dave Hansen  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.langlitz.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  If you wish to receive  things I find interesting,  I maintain six email lists...  JOKESTER, OPINIONS, LDS,  STUFF, MOTORCYCLE and CLIPS.


Yahoo! Mail
Use Photomail to share photos without annoying attachments.

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you wish to receive
things I find interesting,
I maintain six email lists...
JOKESTER, OPINIONS, LDS,
STUFF, MOTORCYCLE and CLIPS.


Reply via email to