Hi --
        When my Windows system crashed a few weeks ago, a tech from Microsoft
worked with me for HOURS to get it going again.
        He modified an MS-DOS file, which made the computer jump from the lines
that read the boot sector on the floppy, or elsewhere, directly to the
Start Menu of Windows -- the menu where you can select "Normal Boot", "Safe
Mode", etc.
        Today I got that problem fixed. The computer will now boot from a floppy.
Specifically,
        A. From a "Windows 98SE Startup Disk", it will set up the utility files
and go to Command Prompt, as it should.
        B. From an OLD Linux boot disk, it will bring up (the old) LILO. I can
select "Linux", but unfortunately, it proceeds so far in the startup of
Linux and then does a "Kernel Panic" and quits.
        C. From the NEW Linux boot disk which Eric prepared for me the night of
the "distro install", the computer jumps directly into Windows. Apparently,
when I tried this new Linux boot disk after returning home from the
Install, while the computer still had that file modification in it, I must
have blown the MBR. Or something.

        D. COMBINATIONS: I tried booting from the OLD Linux boot disk, and then,
when it brought up (the old) LILO, switching to the NEW Linux boot disk.
Result: Kernel Panic.

        Can anyone tell me what to do to restore the MBR of the NEW Linux boot disk?
        Or how else might I enter my upgraded Linux?
        And once I get into Linux, how do I make MORE Linux boot disks? (just in
case -- ) ? (I can probably look up an answer to that one in one of my
Linux textbooks -- maybe. But my attitude: live advice from a here-now
living adviser usuaslly beats textbook advice.)
                                                                Andy

PS: Does TSLUG have any of the NEW "business-card" CD-ROM boot recovery
disks? If so, I would like to obtain one.
                                                                CAH
C. A. Hilgartner        .       Phone: 660-627-2519
2413 North East Street  .       FAX:   660-627-2930
Kirksville  MO  63501   .       email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.hilgart.org.