Andy,

As far as your first question, I would really recommend Gentoo or
Debian. I'm not a huge Debian fan, but if you don't want to deal with
compiling every single package from source, it's a good way to go and
still get easy, automatic updates. I run Debian on my server at home. On
my desktop, I run Gentoo, which I like extremely well. When I first
installed it, I didn't know much about Linux. I had used a real old
version of Red Hat and a couple of different Mandrake versions, but I
never had used any of them as my main OS. If you're thinking that Gentoo
is hard to install/use, I'd say that, while it's not as easy to install
as Red Hat and friends, it's not as hard as some people think. I highly
recommend it. It's great to just be able to type "emerge younameit" and
have that program downloaded, compiled and installed for you. :)

To address your second question: I don't think there would be any
problem with installing Debian on a free HD partition, then configuring
one or the other of the two distros to host the boot loader. It really
should work quite well, but I'm not as knowledgeable on this as I am on
distros. :)

Joshua K.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]