On Monday 03 November 2003 14:43, you wrote:
> November 3, 2003
>
> Hey, everyone...  In light of RedHat's lovely announcement
> (http://www.newsforge.com/software/03/11/03/1657205.shtml?tid=150&tid=2&;
> tid=82&tid=94), I think now would be a good time for me to try moving
> away from RedHat for once and trying something new, since I've been
> using RedHat since v6.2...
>
> Question 1: Any suggestions on good distros to try?  I don't really
> want to go with Mandrake and would probably like to try moving away
> from .rpm altogether, mostly in an effort to move away from the "easy
> way" of doing things...  I know some people use Gentoo, but I'm not
> sure I really wanna go that route just yet...and I also don't want to
> deal with the Windoze-clones like Lycoris or Lindows, either...

I haven't used it, but I think Libranet http://www.libranet.com looks like a
pretty nifty distro. Its Debian-based, so it has all the advantages of there
dependency system, but has newer software and supposedly an easier install
and some extra administartion tools. The disadvantage is that the newest
version costs money.

Gentoo is the best in my opinion, though the install can be a hassle. Its a
good winter-break project. Things are pretty easy once its installed.

> Question 2: If I were to try installing Debian on my current system,
> how feasible would this be?  I mean, I run a server with my RedHat 9
> box and would like to keep the files on it intact...so would it be
> possible to simply install Debian onto a partition of the current drive
> structure and try it dual-boot with GRUB, which is already in place?
> Or even with a boot disc?  I just wasn't sure how well RedHat 9 and
> Debian would play with each other...I don't really want to try
> installing it only to find out that Debian will try to "take over" and
> therefore remove my files, etc...

Right now I have Redhat and Gentoo installed on my computer. The deal is I
wanted to try out Redhat (for the Linux workshop... folks may recall me
saying that Redhat should not be used at home, looks like Redhat agrees), so
I just installed it on a partition that had previously only been used for
data. RedHat is actually still there, along with my anime. Works fine. The
key is that it has to have its own partition, seperate from any other OS.
However, they can share the same swap partition. One linux distro (or really,
any OS I know of) won't "sweep" into another distros partition. You can add
Debian to grub either from Debian or Redhat (or boot it directly from the
grub command line if you read up a little bit).

--
Ian Monroe
http://www.monroe.nu