I guess my first suggestion is to see if someone is having a similar problem at forums.gentoo.org, and if you can't find someone, post your message there. So many people read those forums, occasionally you can get some good help.

Try reemerging python to fix your emerge issues. Um, wait. Scratch that. I dunno. But a segfaulting emerge would indicate a broken python.

Try doing an env-update as root, see if that helps. Sometimes ldconfig doesn't happen right and then I'm unable to start many programs. Sounds like this won't help in your case.

Robert Dickerson wrote:
Hey,
So, I was booting into gentoo yesterday and, instead of my beautiful desktop, I got an error message informing me that Nautilus couldn't be started (I'm using gnome 2.4). XServer starts up ok, and I can login with the GUI, I just can't make it to a normal desktop. Well, thought I, something messed up with gnome, so, worst-case scenario is I have to reinstall gnome. I messed around with trying to figure things out for awhile (by killing xserver and using the text interface) and couldn't fix it, so, I figured I would go ahead with reinstalling. And this brings me to my big issue: when I say something like "emerge sync" or "emerge gnome" or "emerge [anything]" I get a Segmentation Fault. This is a problem. I've tried to find out what is going on, but I'm at a loss. Do I have to reinstall my entire OS, or does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks,
Robert Dickerson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]