On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Joe Touch <to...@isi.edu> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I've noted this before, but to share with other areas:
>
> Although I'm not averse to middleboxes as optional optimizations, I find
> the proposed mechanisms aren't quite optional -- they inject option
> information into the SYN data. That information would poison a
> connection to a legacy receiver if (more to the point, when) that info
> isn't removed by a proxy upstream of the receiver.
>
> TCP must be E2E and fall back to legacy endpoints without a reconnection
> attempt, as required by RFC793.
>
> These aren't generic solutions; they're attacks on a TCP connection, IMO.

I agree. This seems be akin to stateful firewalls model that impose
artificial requirements on networking (like every TCP packet for a
connection must got through some middlebox or the connection is
dropped). We need to move things back to E2E semantics for transport
protocols-- nodes that try to maintain transport state in the network
should be considered the problem not the solution!

Tom