I feel that the mako support is just as good as genshi, in terms of
the framework code.  I primarily use mako for it's concise syntax and
speed.  I have built master/index for mako and would be happy to
publish them, but I have received a bit of pushback from the TG2 team
whilst recommending adding them to the quickstart template (no one
wants to be responsible for their maintenance, although I volunteered
for the job).  The mako version of quickstart is 400% faster for the
index page, and it speeds up the Admin pages by about 50%.

cheers.
-chris