While upgrading a project from TG 2.1 to 2.2 I noticed that the "authenticators" setting (a list of custom authenticators) is handled differently depending on whether "authmetadata" is defined ("new-style config") or not ("old style").

In new-style configuration, the default authenticator will not be used at all when custom authenticators are specified, while in old-style configuration, the default authenticator will be appended.

I think we should re-establish the old behavior. It often makes sense to prepend additional authenticators to the default one. Of course, you can always add the default one manually, but it's cumbersome.

Or, we could make it even more flexible by allowing a value of ('default', None) in the "authenticators" list which will be automatically replaced by the default authenticator. That way you can specify exactly the position of the authenticator in the chain. I have already created a patch for this, let me know what you think.

-- Christoph