That of course should read July-17-06

On 7/17/06, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Here is the discussion from today's IRC chat (sorry about the slightly
wonky format as I had to cut and paste from my client). The topics of
discussion were content updates to the Tuscany web site and the process by
which the web site is produced. In summary we are going to progress the
following this week.

    jboynes    layout and nav,
    slaws       "what is SCA",
    kgoodson "what is SDO"
    kevin        DAS
    cr22rc       help with the web site production toolkit and site
content as time allows
   dwheeler    image stuff

Of course everyone is invited to help out here so don't be shy.

Simon

<kgoodson>    shall we pick up where we were on improving the website with
a clickable picture before OSCon?
    <kgoodson>    what other topics?
    -->|    kevin (n= [EMAIL PROTECTED]) has joined
#tuscany
    <slaws>    i'm just back on line form leave and saw mail about the
website, e.g. the nice clickable picture, but i'm confused about what the
status is and who is doing what - can you give a quick update
    <rfeng>    The OSCON is coming, I guess we need to improve the web
site as we agreed last time, right?
    -->|    simonnash (n= [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) has joined #tuscany
    <simonnash>    hi
    <slaws>    hi simon - kelivin is just kicking off a discussion on
website progress
    <jboynes>    hi, sorry, I'm back as well
    <kgoodson>    hi simon, it's a little quiet, but we are just about to
take stock of where the website improvemnt is/is going -- there don't seem
tyo be any other topics at the moment -- jeremy has had to disappear
    <jboynes>    we have a clckable on the wiki, yes?
    <kgoodson>    i liked raymonds picture, with the clickable links,
there was aanother picture on the mailing list i think that I cant locate at
the moment which was a higher level modular diagram
    <kgoodson>    hes, clickable ....
http://wiki.apache.org/ws-data/attachments/Tuscany(2f)SCADiagram/attachments/sca.htm

<http://wiki.apache.org/ws-data/attachments/Tuscany%282f%29SCADiagram/attachments/sca.htm>
    <rfeng>    the other one is for tuscany architectural layers, I guess
    <slaws>    yes - high level - was attached as a zip to a mail
    <rfeng>    can somebody upload it to WIKI as well?
    <kgoodson>    yes, am i right in thinking that the one you, rfeng,
have done would be linked to from the higher level one?
    <slaws>    high level one was on a mail from Venkata Krishnan
    <rfeng>    the one I prototyped is for SCA composite PM
    -->|    jmarino (n= [EMAIL PROTECTED] ) has joined #tuscany
    <slaws>    can;t find it in the dev archive for some reason
    <kgoodson>    have found it, i will attach to wiki
    <slaws>    ok - great
    <jboynes>    I checked the toolkit from the incubator site into my
sandbox - has anyone had a chance to look at it?
    <slaws>    sorry jeremy - have been out - is this the toolkit for
building the website?
    <kgoodson>    wiki seems not to want to create a new page, waiting
    <jboynes>    slaws: yes, the toolkit I mentioned last time which has
been picked up by a couple of projects (including the incubator)
    <rfeng>    just point to the new URL you want to place the new page,
then you'll see the option to create the new page
    <slaws>    jboynes: ok - ta - haven't tried it yet but can give it a
whirl
    <jboynes>    ok
    <jboynes>    anyone else interested or does anyone have any
alternatives?
    <kgoodson>    yes i'm intersted but i don't really know what it buys
us
    <jboynes>    it's simpler than mvn
    <slaws>    so, coming back to my first question, who is doing what on
the website?
    <jboynes>    I set up the toolkit thing and was waiting for feedback
    <cr22rc>    just a command to run for mvn
    <jboynes>    ?
    <cr22rc>    xdocs are a pain ... does it get us away from that ?
    <rfeng>    I'm stuck in something else this week
    <jboynes>    you can use xml or html
    <slaws>    ok - and rfeng made the clickable diagram and we also have
a top level diagram contributed - anything else?
    <dwheeler>    I believe I was going to try and come up with a prettier
diagram(s) for the clickable diagram interface.
    <cr22rc>    I need to look at the other TK too see what it buys us
    <dwheeler>    based on the ones we have
    <kgoodson>    finally i have the architecture diag n the wiki ...
    <kgoodson>     http://wiki.apache.org/ws/Tuscany/ClickableImages?action=show

    <cr22rc>    to do the site now it's mvn site ... and then mvn
site-deploy (which publishes it )
    <jboynes>    I think the big difference is that there's less going on
than with mvn site
    <jboynes>    everything is in one place and not spread around
different modules
    <cr22rc>    most of the site is just under site
    <cr22rc>    the one thing we don't get with mvn I think is tabs on the
top... don't think you can do that.
    <jboynes>    with the toolkit you get raw html so can do anything
    <jboynes>    but you need to do everything ..
    <kgoodson>    just to summarize, we were looking for the tabs of
http://geronimo.apache.org/ with the image navigation style of
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/
    <jboynes>    perhaps it would be worth extending the strawman to
include tabs etc (at least the high level nav)
    <cr22rc>    I *assume* for OSCON we are going with M1 ?
    <slaws>    i think that is a safe assumption in terms of getting
people to download and try it
    <slaws>    there will be C++ also
    <kgoodson>    (correction to my above summary, servicemix site's image
is not clickable, but that's the style we liked and we were going to make it
clickable)
    <jboynes>    speaking of oscon, who is going?
    <jboynes>    I will be there
    <rfeng>    me too
    <simonnash>    i will
    <rfeng>    I booked a BOF session, need to figure out what to present
:-)
    <kgoodson>    I'm planning on going, but I have back trouble at the
moment, and 24 hours of travelling is probably not the best thing for it --
seeking medical opionion now
    <kgoodson>    i alos have a bof booked for SDO
    <slaws>    unfortunately i can't - I'm off to an event in the UK next
week
    <kevin>    i will be there
    <kgoodson>    geoff winn will be there too
    <kgoodson>    and graham charters
    <slaws>    so who is working on the wed site content updates?
    <slaws>    web
    <kgoodson>    i offered to make images clickable, which is about all i
have the bandwidth to do at the moment
    <slaws>    i could potentially do a little bit this week if you need
help. Probably a very little bit depending on how php things go.
    <rfeng>    kelvin, I can send you the raw image so that you can edit
it
    <kgoodson>    but then the main candidate from rfeng was already
clickable -- i guess i could have done something with venkata's but I think
mapping the image areas to links would be quite a big job
    <jboynes>    other than the images there's a lot of other content
    <kgoodson>    your's was the SCA PM diagram that was already clickable
IIRC, yes?
    <rfeng>    yes
    <kgoodson>    so what editing did you want done?
    <jboynes>    is anyone going to work on that?
    <jboynes>    is anyone going have time to work on that?
    <rfeng>    just in case you need to edit it
    <kgoodson>    the main issue we were addressing was that the apacheCon
feedback said that the main page was too wordy -- so I guess I imagined what
we would be doing as a first step was providing an alternative means of
navigation to the existing info, not ideal perhaps, but a step in the right
direction
    <rfeng>    agree
    |<--    elegoff has left freenode ()
    <jboynes>    the main feedback was that we were not giving people any
insight into what SCA was about
    <jboynes>    it's not just navigation and wordiness but information
presentation
    <jboynes>    stuff like tabs and images can help present that but we
need to have a clear message behind it
    <cr22rc>    do we need to make sure it's platform independent? On the
main SCA page do we want to show something that's only specific to just java
?
    <lresende>    also, is there a way we can make our wiki a little more
easy to navigate? like adding a left outline like the main website ?
    <kgoodson>    for me its not only a time issue, its familiarity with
the detail of SCA --- SDO has to be my priority and I don't feel in a
position to put together authoratative text content about that, so I could
only chip in from the SDO angle
    <lresende>    we should also try to get more DAS content on the
website.... I'll start to see what topics we could add for DAS
    <jboynes>    how about I do some more on the strawman and come up with
some into content and navigation
    <jboynes>    then we can fill out the detail behind
    <kevin>    lresende, that would be great
    <lresende>    kevin, I'll send the ideas to the dev-list ... and we
could discuss incorporating it to the site
    <kevin>    is there a clear distinction between what goes on the main
website and what belongs in a wiki?
    <kevin>    sounds good
    <kgoodson>    jeremy, that sounds good, but it would be good to flesh
out that that would mean for anyone involved in terms of activity in the
next week
    <jboynes>    not sure what you mean
    <jboynes>    i was planning on adding stuff to the thing in the sandbo
    <jboynes>    I'd hope to get it done later today or tomorrow
    <cr22rc>    I'm looking for where this TK original source is... is it
just in svn?
    <cr22rc>    in incubator?
    <jboynes>    that's the one I used
    <jboynes>    there are other copies in geronimo, harmony, jdo, ...
    <jboynes>    what are you looking for?
    <cr22rc>    then this a supported project ?
    <jboynes>    no
    <cr22rc>    hmm
    <jboynes>    it's based on anakia which is but it's just a usage of it
    <jboynes>    there's nothing to support actually - it's a bunch of
templates that are site specific
    <cr22rc>    can it publish the site once it's built .. to apache like
mvn tools can?
    |<--    simonnash has left freenode (Read error: 104 (Connection reset
by peer))
    <jboynes>    yes
    <jboynes>    it poops out site-publish which you check back into svn
    <jboynes>    then to make that live you svn up on the
people.apache.org server
    <jboynes>    (the same thing that you do if you are updating the
incubator site)
    <jboynes>    infrastructure require that the published site is in svn
    <kgoodson>    jboynes, ok, I guess I was just kind of looking for some
kind of statement from anybody who intended to pitch in as to what they
might do -- wondering if that might avoind duplicating effort, or show up
where the holes are
    <kevin>    i can help with the DAS sections
    <jboynes>    if folk want to pitch in, we need content, html help,
image work, some images, ...
    <jboynes>    thanks
    <--|    jliu has left #tuscany
    <cr22rc>    try to pitch in ... need to get acquainted with this new
tool
    <kgoodson>    i have a fair bit of material on getting started with
SDO in the WIKI that could potentially be moved across
    <jboynes>    thanks
    <slaws>    ok - i'll take a look at the tool and add if i can
    <slaws>    am interested in the "what is SCA" part
    <kgoodson>    slaws, what sort of thing woul you be contributing
    <kgoodson>    i'm also working on some "What is ADO material" which
could be added, but I didn't have it in my sights for that to be very
polished by the end of the week
    <kgoodson>    ADO!!
    <kgoodson>    SDO
    <kevin>    Freudian?
    <kgoodson>    :-)
    <cr22rc>    That would interesting ADO tuscany binding
    <jboynes>    ok , AIUI, I'm going to tackle the layout and nav, slaws
is doing "what is SCA", kgoodson is doing "what is ADO?" ;-), kevin is
helping with DAS and cr22rc is going to help with the toolkit
    <jboynes>    did I miss anyone?
    <slaws>    and someone needs to get the diagrams in in some form -
does that come under nav?
    <jboynes>    I can get them in if someone can do all the image stuff
for them
    <dwheeler>    I can do the image stuff.
    <jboynes>    thans
    <jboynes>    thanks
    <slaws>    sounds like a plan
    <jboynes>    I'll drop a separate note to the list about this - we
need to make sure the C++ folk are involved as well
    <kgoodson>    dwheeler, thanks
    <cr22rc>    if I can get caught up in understanding this tool maybe I
can help with link/nav too
    <jboynes>    thanks