On 7/27/06, ant elder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
One of the reasons I started this thread was to try to get a common
understanding about what everyone expects is required to become a Tuscany
committer. Its hard to publicly say you think someone isn't ready yet, even
on the private list, so a common understanding would mean nominations would
more likely get unanimous approval. If a nomination is being discussed on
the private list how do we know when its ok to call a public vote on the dev
list? Are just a few positive responses enough? Are lots of positive
least positive responses from all the committers active in that area? I
think maybe the latter of those for now while there's still not so many of
us, but what do others think?

this is a good question with lots of depth :-)

it's even tougher for a podling and so lacking history and tradition
to rely on.

you need to work answers to this queston yourselves but i would like
to say something about nominations...

i do think that there is some merit in discussing whether someone is
quite ready but i believe that the nomination is personal, not
collective.

i'm towards the conservative end of the spectrum when it comes to
nominating new committers. i see nomination as a personal commitment
which includes supervising the nomimee's first weeks and months at
apache. this include reading every commit message promptly and being
the first to dive in with corrections for any mistakes (technical or
social) they make. i'll also make time to ensure that any personal
mail they send to me will be answered quickly.

- robert