You don't "build" the website
Simple changing the XML files changes the website. Deploying the website is
simply putting all the files in the "site" folder into the root of the site
on incubator.apache.org/tuscany
I will try and clarify that in the readme. as well as post it under the
development section.

.svg files are Scalable Vector Graphics files (
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/). Inkscape uses svg as its native file
format.

-David