I haven't come across this problem myself.

The readme doesn't quite list all the steps that are needed to successfully
build and run the samples.  There is one extra step that is described at
  http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/java_sca_overview.html
under Building and Running the Samples (step 3).  However, the symptoms
of omitting this step would be a build failure and not what you described.

I have tested all the samples using Tomcat 5.5.17.  Are you able to download
a new copy of this level of Tomcat and see if the problem still occurs?

Another possibility is that you have something in your local maven repo
that is at the wrong level.  Can you try removing your local repo and
see if that improves things?

  Simon

Freeman Fang wrote:

Hi all,

I try to deploy helloworldws samples into tomcat 5.5.16, but when I start tomcat, I get exception of helloworldws as follows,

Dec 26, 2006 4:29:02 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: org.apache.tuscany.spi.component.TargetException: Error initializing component instance [extender] org.apache.tuscany.runtime.webapp.ServletLauncherInitException: org.apache.tuscany.spi.component.TargetException: Error initializing component instance [extender] at org.apache.tuscany.runtime.webapp.WebappRuntimeImpl.initialize(WebappRuntimeImpl.java:147) at org.apache.tuscany.runtime.webapp.TuscanyContextListener.contextInitialized(TuscanyContextListener.java:74) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:3729) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4183) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:809) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:698) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1112) at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:310) at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1021) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718) at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1013) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:709)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:551)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Caused by: org.apache.tuscany.spi.component.TargetException: Error initializing component instance [extender]

Also, when I try to start helloworldwsclient sample, I get exception as follows,

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.tuscany.spi.component.TargetException: Error initializing component instance [directoryScanExtender] at org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.PojoAtomicComponent.init(PojoAtomicComponent.java:96) at org.apache.tuscany.core.component.scope.InstanceWrapperImpl.start(InstanceWrapperImpl.java:49) at org.apache.tuscany.core.component.scope.ModuleScopeContainer.eagerInitComponents(ModuleScopeContainer.java:145) at org.apache.tuscany.core.component.scope.ModuleScopeContainer.onEvent(ModuleScopeContainer.java:72) at org.apache.tuscany.spi.component.AbstractSCAObject.publish(AbstractSCAObject.java:94) at org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.composite.AbstractCompositeComponent.publish(AbstractCompositeComponent.java:139) at org.apache.tuscany.core.implementation.composite.AbstractCompositeComponent.start(AbstractCompositeComponent.java:106) at org.apache.tuscany.runtime.standalone.host.StandaloneRuntimeImpl.initialize(StandaloneRuntimeImpl.java:82)

I follow the instruction in readme step by step, could anyone help me out?

Thanks very much

Freeman