Jeremy,

On having the system.scdl in the etc directory ..

I am assuming it is the system.scdl for the server itself, rather than
the runtime that is lauched by the server? Each runtime that is launched
through the startRuntime managed operation on the server will have its
own system.scdl, wherever it is stored as long it is available to the
boot classloader of the runtime?

Would this mean the distro would be something like

/install -> Root installer directory
/install/launcher -> Launcher root
/install/launcher/etc -> Launcher runtime properties and system scdl
/install/launcher/boot -> Launcher boot libraries
/install/server -> Server root
/install/server/etc -> Server runtime properties and system scdl
/install/server/boot -> Server boot libraries
/install/server/runtime-x -> Runtime x root
/install/server/runtime-x/etc -> Runtime x runtime.properties and system
scdl
/install/server/runtime-x/etc/boot -> Runtime x boot libraries
/install/server/runtime-y -> Runtime y root
/install/server/runtime-y/etc -> Runtime y runtime.properties and system
scdl
/install/server/runtime-y/etc/boot -> Runtime y boot libraries

Ta
Meeraj