Simon Nash wrote:
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
scabooz wrote:
Hi Folks,

+1 for warnings when the application is developed.  +1 for Errors when
you put the application into production. The trick is to know the difference
between deployment for UT vs. deployment for real.

:-)

Dave

And the other trick is to allow processing of artifacts with errors to proceed as well in dev, debug and admin scenarios as well.

For example we should be able to load a composite with errors in it, in the admin tool, to show these errors to the administrator and allow him to fix them.

Basically it's the same idea as a with Java editor. A Java editor that wouldn't allow you to edit Java classes with errors wouldn't be very useful :)

That means: Not throwing an exception that stops everything on the first error, but instead report errors through the monitors that we already have in various places in the code.

I agree with this statement that everything should not stop on the first
error.  To reuse my compiler analogy, I wouldn't like the compiler to
report only one error every time I run it.

However, this doesn't mean that the faulty class should only produce a
warning that allows execution to proceed.  It should still produce an
error that causes deployment of this application to fail, but the error
should be handled in a way that allows it to be batched with other
similar errors to give the user a consolidated failure report.

  Simon

OK that's fair. I still think that preventing any 'deployment' is too strong, but I can live with it for now and we'll see over time how that evolves.

So if I understand correctly:
a) error checking will proceed allowing reporting of a batch of errors
b) deployment will not proceed

I may even feel better about it if we precise 'deployment' a bit.

Did you mean:
- installation of a contribution on the domain
- inclusion of a composite in the domain
- allocation of components to a node
- starting these components

What was your idea here? which one would proceed, which one would fail?