Simon, that's pretty much what comes to my mind as well.  However, I am
still not convinced that the specs says that having the bindingType
definition is pre-req to the binding being available.  I still feel, what
one finds in a definitions.xml is just meta-data about an extension that is
already available i.e. presence of this sort of a definition for an
extension is consequential to the loading and availability of the extension.

- Venkat