On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to use the new distributed domain stuff -
> > domain-manager
> > and node2* etc - to get Tomcat as a domain manager with SCA webapps
> > being
> > individual nodes, but not really making much progress getting it to work
> > so
> > asking here to see if there are any suggestions - mainly from you
> > Sebastien
> > as you've written most of those new modules :-)
> >

> I'm going to send steps to show how to run an SCA node as a web app in a
> different email.
>
>  What i'd like is for during Tomcat startup to create a domain manager and
> > then as each webapp is initialized create a new node for each webapp and
> > register it with the domain, and to do that registration with in-JVM
> > calls.
> > Right now the domain manger needs to know about all the nodes before the
> > domain can be started (i think?) but thats problematic in this scenario
> > as
> > the webapps are initialized one by one and its hard to batch all those
> > up
> > and then initialize the domain and then correctly insert the node into
> > the
> > webapps context. This is discussed in a bit more detail in the thread at
> > [1].
> >
> > I wondered about enhancing the domain manager so that it can be created
> > "empty" and then create/register nodes one-by-one and then activate the
> > domain once thats done (which probably would require the more dynamic
> > endpoint stuff being talked about in [2]), but I'm not sure that
> > approach
> > really fits in with the current design of the distributed domain
> > support?
> >
> > WDYT, any comments or suggestions?
> >
> >   ...ant
> >
> > [1] http://apache.markmail.org/message/2i6gtkveapk3n4nr
> > [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg30314.html
> >

> I'd like to make sure I understand your question and scenario correctly
> before trying answering the wrong question.
>
> Here are the parts that I'm not following:
>
> - create a domain manager (did u mean create an domain? deploy a domain
> manager as a web app? start an instance of a domain manager?)

You tell me, I'm trying to understand how to use all this distributed domain
stuff you've written to support the scenario described above. Some of those
distributed domain classes need to created/initialized/started before Tomcat
starts deploying webapps - is that the domain-manger? the domain-impl? Some
combination? Something else?

> - there is no such thing as 'start a domain',

Well, the SCADomain interface does have a start method...does it help if its
"Right now the domain manger needs to know about all the nodes before all
the services in the domain can be started (I think?)"?

why did you think that the domain manager needed to know all the nodes
> before 'starting the domain'? what did you mean by 'starting the domain'?

See [1] and the reply to that email. It does have "i think?" in brackets
above, if thats not the case then great. How do you add or register a node?

> - 'as each webapp is initialized', did you mean 'installed' or 'started'?

The node for the webapp needs to be available to use when the "init" method
is called on any of the webapp Servlets and similar classes. To create that
node we can intercept and do things at various points during the deployment
of the webapp depending on the requirements of the distributed domain
modules and classes.

> do you have the requirement to know about the existence of a webapp (node)
> in an SCA domain before it's started?

No

> - 'insert the node in the webapp context' what did you mean by that?

Put whatever is the node or domain Java object which clients are supposed to
use into the ServletContext object of the webapp. Ideally all our existing
webapp samples will continue to work with minimal changes when running in
this new deep integration approach.

   ...ant

[1] http://apache.markmail.org/message/zhoclft2wrvypyys