Simon Laws wrote:

Should we really be restricting the behavior of the service side SOAP stack?
If your intent is to support 1_2 does that mean we outlaw 1_1 if the SOAP
stack happens to be able to make sense of it?

Simon

Simon,

This all depends on what you think is meant when the intent "SOAP.1_2" is applied to either a service or to a reference.

The way it was designed is that it says "This service/reference must use SOAP encoding at the 1.2 level of the spec".

It does not mean "Use SOAP.1_2 if you can but SOAP.1_1 will do as well".

So strictly, the current Tuscany implementation is in error. It will use SOAP 1.1 encoding even when it has been told to use 1.2.

Take an example (not a good one for SCA, it must be admitted) where the server messes with SOAP Headers only defined in SOAP 1.2. It would naturally mark itself as requiring "SOAP.1_2". If SOAP 1.1 were used instead, those extra headers would not be legal SOAP 1.1.

If you want to require SOAP encoding but you don't care about the level, just specify "SOAP" as the intent - this permits any level of SOAP encoding.

Yours,  Mike.