I continued looking into this issue and found that the
parent-2-incubating.pom can't be downloaded and thus leads to the errors
shown below. I tested this by checking out the most recent version of the
java code and building as explained in [1].

I read that a possible workaround might be to download the pom and do things
manually but it's not possible to acces the file on any of these URLs.

Is there anywhere else I can get this file from? Am I missing something? (I
feel like I might be doing something terribly wrong...)

$ mvn clean install -Dtest=no
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Downloading:
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/1.0-RC1a/maven/org/apache/tuscany/parent/2-incubating/parent-2-incubating.pom
Downloading:
http://ws.zones.apache.org/repository2/org/apache/tuscany/parent/2-incubating/parent-2-incubating.pom
Downloading:
http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/eclipse/modeling/emf/emf/maven2//org/apache/tuscany/parent/2-incubating/parent-2-incubating.pom
Downloading:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/eclipse/tools/emf/maven2/org/apache/tuscany/parent/2-incubating/parent-2-incubating.pom
Downloading:
http://www.ibiblio.net/pub/packages/maven2/org/apache/tuscany/parent/2-incubating/parent-2-incubating.pom
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.tuscany
ArtifactId: parent
Version: 2-incubating

  org.apache.tuscany:parent:pom:2-incubating

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-development-guide.html

--
best,
-oscar