On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:28:31 -0500, Steven Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Here's my two cents on ide's for Python.
>Idle... It's got a nice color scheme but it's tkinter gui is a bit dated 
>and it's short many of the built-in convenience features.

And no calltips and autocompletion, although there exists a patch
to support them.

>PyWin... Slightly better, but still feels weak to me. Win32 specific though.

looks nice, but I never used it.
Provides Autocomplete.

>PyCrust (and it's derivatives) last I knew were included with wxPython 
>the gui toolkit. wasn't a big fan of them.

This is my favorite replacement of IDLE.
Namespace viewer (this alone justifies the use of PyCrust), autocomplete and 
Calltips.

>SPE. Just installed it yesterday and used it today on a sizable web 
>service/plpythonu program. I was pleased in general with the color 
>scheme, I liked the vertical lines showing indentation down through the 
>document. I tried a couple of the fun frilly features like the run, 
>debug and explorer a bit. It's interesting enough to keep me coming back 
>for a bit.


Looks good and professional, but for some reasons, I don't like it.
The bloated "blender" part for example.
But at the other side, it has included wxGlade, the new Python debugger
winpdb and a lot of nice editor functions.

>Jedit. Java editor. Really my swiss-army knife of development. I use it 
>for Perl, PHP, asp, JSP, Java, Python, C++...blah blah blah...

Bloated, slow in startup and in response of userinputs 
and not developed in Python itself. ;)

>Komodo - untried, but the screenies look decent.

Payware.

>Eclipse - tried it, found the one plugin to be ok. Seemed a bit overkill 
>for my usual python work

Never tried it seriously; seems very bloated to me.

>Boa Constructor (Mostly RAD Gui Development) complex, but very useful 
>for those wxPython projects.

Good editor functions (browse code for example).
Debugger, many plugins (bycicle repair man for instance).

I don't like the three parts components (how shall i say this).
In Windows, you have three entries in the taskbar.

>
>Top Three:

>Jedit

DrPython ;)
Many plugins are available. And it is easy to accomodate 
the editor to your needs (customize shortcuts, write little
"DrPython scripts", make your own plugins.

>Idle (surprise!)

Pycrust (for interactive use and testing)

>SPE

SciTE.
--
Franz Steinhaeusler

_______________________________________________
Tutor maillist  -  [email protected]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor

Reply via email to