On Mon, Oct 16, 2006, Alan Gauld wrote:

>"Bill Campbell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message >>   The
>function is in the os module ([2]
>>>   http://docs.python.org/lib/os-file-dir.html).
>>
>> Silly me.  I was looking in the os.path module :-).
>
>Yes, its confusing/. One thing that should be rationalised IMHO
>is the various os modules.There are os, os.path, shutil, and now
>subprocess too.
>
>Alll doing things vaguely related to os type things. A re-org to
>make them more consistent would be good, but unfortunately
>would probably break lots of code!

It would probably be possible to do much, if not all, to make
these consistent by judicious programming for backwards
compatibility (e.g. having the old call work while creating the
new, rational call for use by newer programs).

I certainly wouldn't like to see python breaking backwards
compatibility, which is probably my primary gripe about open
source software (although Bell Labs was equally guilty when they
did things like change the ``grep -y'' option to ``grep -i'').

Bill

Instead of giving money to found colleges to promote learning, why don't
they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning
anything?  If it works as good as the Prohibition one did, why, in five
years we would have the smartest race of people on earth.
                -- The Best of Will Rogers