On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 14:57, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:40:18PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > Quoting various people:
> >
> > > 1. 'Starters' are broken,
> > This is not only a MacOS problem. I get it too.
> >
> > Tuxpaint:  from CVS yesterday
> > OS:  Debian-unstable with the 2.6.9-rc4 kernel
> > Video:  24-bit (in 32-bit, AFAIK), w/ big display
> > Hardware:  Mac G4 Cube (yes, running Linux)
> >
> > So, while I'm not running MacOS, I do use a Mac.
> > Odd features of the Mac hardware include:
> >
> > 1. big-endian
> > 2. "char" is unsigned by default!!!
> > 3. most (not all) audio hardware is big-endian only
>
> Hrm, okay, so this might be a clue as to what's going on.
> Unfortunately, without a Mac to debug on, I can't help here.

I just tried compiling TuxPaint like this:

make CC='gcc -fsigned-char' PREFIX=/usr

There was no change. If starter images use some unusual
feature of the SDL library, the problem could be in SDL.

I suggest adding more warnings, like the ones used
for procps:

PKG_CFLAGS   := -fno-common -ffast-math \
  -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wredundant-decls \
  -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return \
  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes

> Are you able to build with debugging printf()'s turned on?
> Do they provide any hints as to what's going on?

I can build any way you like, but I wouldn't know what
to look for. Nothing obvious stood out in a grep
like this:

egrep -i4 -- 'starters|-back' src/*[hc] | less -i

> > BTW, the sound is messed up too. I just get static.
>
> Unfortunately, this is /not/ an issue on the latest Mac OS X build.
> Can you try altering the buffer size being set when the SDL sound system
> is first being initialized?

Assuming you mean the last parameter to Mix_OpenAudio,
I tried 8192, 2048, and 256. Sound is still bad.

My sound goes through esd (Enlightenment sound daemon)
to USB speakers. I don't think the USB speakers support
more than one sampling rate. I can play MP3s just fine,
the game Abuse works OK, the game SuperTux is staticy...