On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 12:56, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:40:18PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > Also, this isn't posted to this list because you've
> > blocked non-subscribers. I wish you wouldn't do that.
> > The [EMAIL PROTECTED] way is the right way.
>
> Well, if you want 95% spam on the list, sure, I can allow non-subscribers to
> post. :)

I'm not seeing that on the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailing list. I think I get about 1 spam per day.
The list has been around for a while, and it has been
mentioned all over: freshmeat.net, the procps web site,
every release announcement, emails on linux-kernel, etc.

The linux-kernel list gets a bit more, but not much.
Just a couple spams per day make it past the filters,
in a flood of 100 to 400 legitimate messages per day.
Dropping HTML mail eliminates most of the spam.

The positive benefits of an open list are huge.
Bug reports can come in freely.

Also, do NOT force replies to go to the list or not.
Decent mailers provide both reply-tosender and
reply-to-all (group reply) abilities; these must be
left distinct to be useful.