On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 16:31, John Popplewell wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 11:58:24AM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 11:37, John Popplewell wrote:

> > > but I can't get it to _link_. From reading around, to build Windows
> > > applications, it seems to need some bits from the platform SDK which is
> > > 320M or the .NET SDK which I seem to remember swearing never to touch.
> Actually, I managed to get it to link in release mode by suppressing
> calls to _ftol which were generating link errors. Sadly, the code didn't
> work correctly anymore :-( Something to do with the FIST instruction and
> FPU rounding modes when truncating. A well documented can of worms.

Go ahead and set the FPU rounding mode to either
"toward infinity" or "toward zero" as desired. This
will help with float-to-integer conversions, while
not causing serious errors for other math. The error
would be well under 1 ppm for regular float math.

Then, if the compiler can be set to directly use the
right instructions, you're all set. Otherwise, you
need to make a _ftol() function with some assembly.
(either inline, or in a *.asm file)