On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 16:56, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 04:17:18PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > How about an #ifdef WIN32 on that new feature?
> >
> > Windows: strongly oriented toward left button
> > MacOS: generaly, either button will do
> > Linux: often demands the center button
> >
> > In any case, it'll be harder for a 3-year-old now.
>
> I'm totally confused by your suggestion here... Can you explain?

You disabled the middle and right buttons, didn't you?

That's a total Microsoftism. UNIX workstations traditionally
use the middle button. MacOS treats them all the same.
Java apps treat them all the same too.

For proper UNIXy behavior, you'd only allow the middle button.
The left and right would, of course, do something dreadful. :-)
Try an real xterm scroll bar.

I think the old way was by far best for tiny little kids.
If "teach them the cold hard reality of their OS" is going
to be the goal though, an #ifdef WIN32 is appropriate.
It's only Windows that has a clear and strong bias toward
the left mouse button.

Even on Windows though, left-handed users can swap buttons.