On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:26 AM, PGage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:21 PM, pedegars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Blech...I thought that [Jesse Sr] was the most nauseating image of the
>> Grant Park rally; better was the image of The Queen of Daytime (the
>> other "Big O")---being squished like a mere commoner---in the crowd.
>
> As I said, I know a lot of people here hate Jesse. In context though,
> keeping in mind that Jackson was actually on the balcony of the
> Lorraine Motel, well, that was quite a visual.

I thought of all the civil rights meetings in the '60s that Jesse was
at and how they talked about this dream. Last night Jesse was one of
only a few that lived to see this dream realized and I think his tears
were from long periods of despair or anger over whether we would ever
be a country that could elect a black president.

I wasn't as active in this election as I have been in previous years.
I did go to two rallies recently, a small one with Michelle Obama and
a large one 9 days ago with Barack Obama. Those rallies were the first
time I saw the emotional investment the African-American community had
in the Obama campaign. Since we like to be cynical and be detached
from our politicians, it's difficult to relate how overwhelming the
personal identification and the emotional commitment were.

Tom W

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
Like TV only smarter.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to