On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Tom Wolper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I thought of all the civil rights meetings in the '60s that Jesse was
> at and how they talked about this dream. Last night Jesse was one of
> only a few that lived to see this dream realized and I think his tears
> were from long periods of despair or anger over whether we would ever
> be a country that could elect a black president.
>
> I wasn't as active in this election as I have been in previous years.
> I did go to two rallies recently, a small one with Michelle Obama and
> a large one 9 days ago with Barack Obama. Those rallies were the first
> time I saw the emotional investment the African-American community had
> in the Obama campaign. Since we like to be cynical and be detached
> from our politicians, it's difficult to relate how overwhelming the
> personal identification and the emotional commitment were.

Exactly.

I was pretty involved with the Big O Campaign, so I am far from
objective. I can report that in addition to the emotional investment
of many in the AA community, there was also tremendous emotional
investment by slmoat everyone who got invovled. Young people,
retirees, women, Latinos, Union activists - this was a campaign that
really got under the skin of a lot of different kinds of people.

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
Like TV only smarter.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to