On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know there is a lot of animus against him on this list, but I have never
> gotten that. I liked him fine on TDS (but I like Stewart better); I liked
> him fine on LLS (but I like Craig 2.0 better). I would much rather watch him
> host a show for an hour than Leno for 10 minutes.

I liked him on Daily Show, but once he took over Late Late Show, I
realized I liked the format more than the persona. Kilborn was fine in
small doses -- ripping through goofy headlines and chatting with Kathy
Ireland was fine, but only when segments by other people (i.e.: Brian
Unger, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, A Whitney Brown, and Lewis
Black) limited his on screen time. Limiting Kilborn's exposure is the
key to his appeal. I found him excessively smug in his one hour CBS
show.

Assuming he is being honest and CBS wouldn't let him do certain things
in late night, I don't know who has fooled him into thinking he'll be
given more freedom in a daytime syndication deal. I don't think I've
ever worked with a crew more creatively stifled than Howie Mandel's
syndicated talk show, and my friends who worked on Martin Short's show
told me the same thing. There is an anticipated audience when the word
"daytime" is used -- and I know I'll offend people for stating this
but oh well -- you don't win them over with cleverness and creativity.