I will not prolong the exchange with a detailed argument about the decision
not to DQ Tiger. I think though that your own analysis makes most of my
main point. Critics of the decision were arguing today that the rules of
golf require anyone who submits an inaccurate scorecard to be DQ'd, and
that the only reason that did not happen here was the superstar status of
Tiger. What Rule 33-7 (including 4.5) clearly establishes though it that DQ
is *not* the automatic result of submitting an inaccurate scorecard. For
the last two years, the tournament rules committee has to make a judgement
call as to whether to DQ such a player. Joe (and every other golf fan) is
free of course to disagree with such a judgement call - all that does is
welcome golf fans to the world of sports, where fans have always argued
about the judgement calls of officials. It is one thing to argue that the
officials gave a celeb player the benefit of the doubt, it is quite another
to argue that the rules state that the officials are not supposed to be
exercising any judgement at all. I think the officials made the correct
call, Joe and many others think they did not. My main point here is that
the new rule now gives the officials the obligation to exercise that
judgement. It may also be worth noting that the PGA, the USGA and the R&A
all agreed with the judgement made by the Masters' officials.

I come at this from the other end than Joe; I have always detested the
Masters - it represents everything that I hate about golf. Not just its
elitist, racist and sexist traditions - while I don't think time and
culture excuse everything, I don't judge organizations in the present by
what they were in the past. But Augusta has proudly held on to its elitist,
racist and sexist traditions far longer, and with more arrogant gusto, than
has ever been seemly. They also have perpetuated the myth more than most
that Golf's shit don't stink - that professional golfers are somehow better
humans, more honest, more like gentleman, than the lower class of human
that plays other sports. This is a leftover from the casual Edwardian
elitism of 100 years ago, which left golf elevating amateur athletes over
professionals long after everyone this side of  Avery Brundage had evolved
past that particular prejudice. Even today the Masters prides itself on
recognizing the "purity" of amateur athletics more than any other
tournament.

All of that to say that if I were looking for a reason to boycott the
Masters I think I could come up with a dozen that are more important and
less ambiguous than the decision to apply Rule 33-7 to Tiger Woods on
Friday.